With the third anniversary of Fukushima just around the corner, research shows the disaster is far from over. The triple assault on Japan’s east coast included a magnitude 9.0 earthquake followed by a debilitating tsunami, and finally a nuclear meltdown that has become an alarmingly monumental global problem that garners nearly no mainstream media attention.
The latest reports which were compiled by authorities and the local police show that a total of 1,656 deaths have been as a result of the nuclear disaster. While no one has officially been recorded as dying as a direct result of the radiation release, many committed suicide over radiation fear while others died during evacuation. The report states many of the victims died due to stress and other disaster-related illnesses.
Hundreds rallied in Tokyo Saturday to protest Japanese prosecutors’ decision to drop charges over the Fukushima nuclear crisis, with no one yet punished nearly three years after the “man-made” disaster. “There are many victims of the accident, but there is no charged assailant,” chief rally organizer Ruiko Muto, 61, told the protesters, displaying a photograph of Kawauchi village which was hit by the nuclear accident. “We are determined to keep telling our experiences as victims to pursue the truth of the accident, and we want to avoid a repeat of the accident in the future,” she said.
A parliamentary report has said Fukushima was a man-made disaster caused by Japan’s culture of “reflexive obedience” and not just by the tsunami that crippled the plant.
In another report published by the U.S. science journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the first projections of the harmful effects of exposure to radiation have been studied and point to an increased lifetime cancer risk for young children exposed. The report is the first of its kind.
In a related study, thyroid cancer rates among Japanese youth are on the rise. Screening of Fukushima residents who were 18 or younger at the time of the 2011 nuclear disaster had found 26 confirmed and 32 suspected cases of thyroid cancer as of Sept. 2013, according to the Fukushima Prefectural Government. The number of confirmed cases was up by eight from August, while the suspected cases rose by seven, the prefecture-led study found. The prefectural government is giving medical checkups to all 360,000 children aged 18 or younger at the time of the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi plant in March 2011, with the thyroid test results of approximately 193,000 children having been released so far. The check-ups will continue throughout the duration of their lives.
These reports show that despite the government and Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s claims that things are under control, the disaster continues to threaten the lives and well-being of people in the hardest hit areas.
The reports outline the fact that a huge part of the problem stems from the government’s poor handling of the after-effects of the disaster and Tepco’s continuing negligent and incompetent handling of the fallout.
The health ministry has insisted that the possibility of indirectly caused deaths diminished one month after the earthquake. However, these reports contradict the health ministry alluding to it’s denial about the existence of problems. The reports also point to the health ministry’s resistance to finding ways of addressing the serious issues the suffering survivors face.http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2014/03/shocking-death-toll-related-fukushima.html