- Divers have found traces of ancient land swallowed by waves 8500 years ago
- Doggerland once stretched from Scotland to Denmark
- Rivers seen underwater by seismic scans
- Britain was not an island – and area under North Sea was roamed by mammoths and other giant animals
- Described as the ‘real heartland’ of Europe
- Had population of tens of thousands – but devastated by sea level rises
‘Britain’s Atlantis’ – a hidden underwater world swallowed by the North Sea – has been discovered by divers working with science teams from the University of St Andrews.